Hispanic/Native American Indian Caucus
The Hispanic/Native American Indian Caucus (HNAIC) encourages positive working relationships among Hispanic and Native America school board members, the community and political leaders, and promotes action to improve educational opportunities for all minorities in public schools. The president of the Hispanic/Native American Indian Caucus is an ex officio member of the ASBA Governing Board.
- To promote quality education for all students, focusing on the needs of Hispanic and Native American Indian students.
- To promote positive relationships among Hispanic and Native American Indian school boards, members of their communities, political leaders and the ASBA.
- To promote legislation to improve educational opportunities for Hispanic, Native American Indian and other minorities in public schools.
- To promote positive representation of Hispanic and Native American Indian board members in ASBA.
There are several ways to become active with the caucus:
Regular Membership is open to any elected or appointed member of a public board of education in Arizona that is an active member of ASBA. The annual membership fee for an individual board members is $25. Full boards may join for $100/year.
Associate Memberships are open to district-level staff from ASBA member districts ($25/year).
Friends of the Caucus Memberships are open to other individuals interested in supporting the work of the caucus ($25/year).
Honorary Membership is conferred and discretionary.
This year the H.N.A.I.C. will be meeting on the following dates:
- April 8 at 4:30 p.m. at The Equity Event (Hyatt Regency, Phoenix)
- June 13 at 7:30 a.m. at ASBA Summer Leadership Institute (Little American Resort in Flagstaff)
- Sept. 8 at noon to 1 p.m. at the ASBA Law Conference (Camelback Inn, Phoenix)
- Dec. 10 at 4:30 p.m. at the ASBA-ASA Annual Conference (Biltmore Conference Center, Phoenix)
2017 HNAIC Officers
|Eva Carrillo Dong||Sunnyside USD||Reg. Dir. II|
|Steven Chapman||Tolleson UHSD||Reg. Dir. I|
|Sylvia Hendricks||Baboquivari USD||Past President|
|Larry Herrera||Washington ESD||Secretary|
|Linda Lyon||Oracle ESD||Reg. Dir. V|
|Luis Marquez||Gadsden ESD||Reg. Dir. IV|
|Dee McKerry||Page USD||Reg. Dir. III|
|Barbara Mendoza||Nogales USD||Reg. Dir. VI|
|Patrick Morales||Tempe ESD||President|
|Jesus Rubalcava||Gila Bend USD||VP Hispanic|
|Nicholas Tellez||Solomon ESD||Treasurer|
|Sara Mae Williams||Baboquivari USD||VP-Native|