Schools close for summer, but what about A-F letter grades?
A-F FAQ available now
As district public schools shut down for the summer, the State Board of Education must forge on to finalize the A-F letter grades. The board met Monday, May 22, and among the items of interest on the agenda was a timeline for the issuance of A-F letter grades. Unfortunately, the board did not reach a decision and will continue the discussion following its June 26 regular meeting. As promised, ASBA’s Governmental Relations team created an official A-F FAQ document stemming from last week’s meeting and our April A-F webinar, which can be viewed here along with the downloadable presentation.
We want to celebrate ASBA’s Cactus Pin Award recipients!
Deadline to submit Thurs., June 1
Awards are presented to individual board members for personal efforts toward professional development as a board member. The Arizona School Boards Association Cactus Pin Award recognizes board members for service in ASBA, the National School Boards Association and local board and community advocacy activities that go above and beyond regular board duties in supporting local control and public education.
The Cactus Pin Award is presented to individual board members annually in June at the Summer Leadership Institute for self-reported service activities.
This year, qualifiers include:
- Testified on behalf of ASBA’s official position at a committee meeting, hearing of the legislature or state agency (20 points per testimony)
- Used the “Request to Speak” system (10 points per occurrence)
- Registered for the “Request to Speak” system (5 points)
- Attended the “Day at the Capitol” (20 points)
- Wrote a letter to your elected official (10 points per issue)
- Wrote a Letter to the Editor supporting public education (5 points per letter)
- Interviewed for broadcast or publication (10 points per event)
- Served as a speaker, presenter, panelist or moderator at an ASBA or NSBA conference, convention or workshop (20 points per event)
- Served on the ASBA Board of Directors (40 points)
- Served on an ASBA committee (20 points)
- Served as a delegate at the Delegate Assembly (20 points)
- Served at the NSBA level (20 points)
- Acted on behalf of your board or as a representative of public education in community outreach efforts (10 points per year per purpose)
Breakfast with Board Docs
Friday, June. 9, 7:45 – 8:15 a.m. at SLI
Come join Dawn Adams from Board Docs to learn how LT and Pro services can improve board management by improving the way you manage packets, access information and conduct meetings. Get all your questions about eGovernance solutions answered. If you’re already a Board Docs user, come share your experience and gain knowledge on updates and new services available.
New superintendent salary survey available
ASBA conducts an annual salary survey designed to study district compensation and benefits for certified and administrative personnel as well as superintendents that serve students across the state.
Each year, this information is designed to meet ASBA members’ need for important information to assist in determining comparable compensation for school employees across the state. The survey has been streamlined and re-focused to better capture salary environments outside of the traditional salary schedule of credits and seniority.
Click here to view the 2016.17 salary for superintendents.
Save the Date Annual Conference 2017