41ST ANNUAL LAW CONFERENCE
September 6 - September 8$625
The 41st Annual ASBA Law Conference, will feature breakout sessions on topics ranging from legal issues to the most pressing legal concerns of the day.
The 41st Annual ASBA Law Conference will be held from Wednesday, September 6 to Friday, September 8, 2017, at the JW Marriott Desert Ridge Hotel in Phoenix. The 2017 edition of the Law Conference promises to be the biggest and best one yet with: a new, larger facility; four timely and in-depth half-day Pre-Conferences; three national acclaimed speakers on leading-edge topics; two sponsored networking receptions; 28 breakout sessions; and 52 overall sessions.
Here are some of the highlights:
- Half-Day Pre-Conferences (additional or combined discount fee required) on Keeping Kids Safe in School, Current and Emerging Topics in School Funding, Immigration & Schools and Hot Topics in Special Education – all included for one price.
- Author and Nationally-Renowned Speaker Rosalind Wiseman on Queen Bees and Wannabes, a presentation on girls and their social structures and the impact on their education, based on her best-selling book and the blueprint for the movie “Mean Girls.”
- Author and Nationally-Renowned Speaker Peg Tyre on The Trouble with Boys: A Surprising Report Card on Our Sons, Their Problems at School, and What Parents and Educators Must Do
- The return of Jim Walsh (still the best reviewed speaker in the history of the Law Conference), speaking at both the Pre-Conference on Special Education and in the General Session Student Discipline and Restorative Practices
- 28 Breakout Sessions on such diverse topics as:
- Staff and Board Travel
- Employee Free Speech
- Prayer at School Board Meetings
- Student Free Speech
- Top 10 Legal Trapdoors Board Members Should Avoid
- Teacher Certification
- Open Meeting Law
- Accommodating Employees with Disabilities
- Student Recording of Teachers and Other Students
- Data Breaches and Student Privacy
- Who Can Legally Bind the District – And When?
- Employee Discrimination and Harassment
- Employee Leave After Prop. 206
- Orders of Protection and How to Handle Them
- Superintendent Transitions
- Social Media and Board Members
- Conflict Resolution Among Divided Boards
Pre-Law Conference: 9.6.2017; 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Law Conference: 9.7.2017; 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Law Conference: 9.8.17; 8 a.m. – 4 p.m.
- Law Conference + Pre-Conference: $625 (reflects a $50 savings over registering separately)
- Pre-Conference Only: $225
- Law Conference Only: $450
The Pre-Conference & Law Conference will be held at the JW Marriott Phoenix Desert Ridge. A block of rooms has been reserved with a special conference rate of $159 single/double. In order to reserve a room, please call 1-800-835-6206 and request the ASBA Law Conference rate. Book your room online: https://aws.passkey.com/go/AZSchoolBoardConference2017 The cutoff date for reserving rooms in the block is Wednesday, August 16, 2017. Due to the popularity of the Law Conference, we recommend making your reservation as soon as possible. We ask that you only reserve rooms for those that will be attending the conference, to ensure all attendees can stay at the conference hotel.
Late Registration: Participants registered after Friday, August 25, 2017, will be charged an additional $50 late registration fee.
Refunds, Cancellations and Substitutions: The deadline for cancellations is Wednesday. August 30, 2017. Cancellations must be in writing and faxed to 602.254.1177 by that date. No shows will not be refunded. Those registered are entitled to send substitutes in their place.