- 2017 priorities – periodic review of the new a-f accountability system, focus on literacy efforts, work to modify current ELL model, focus on issues for students like poverty, and seeking out avenues to enhance compensation for teachers.
- President Ballantyne appointed Karol Schmidt to serve on the West Ed Board on behalf of the State Board.
- Representative Jill Norgaard, District 18, gave an update on the dyslexia handbook legislation that she ran this session.
- 2017 Milken Educator for Arizona – Timothy Thomas, Principal at Rogers Ranch School in Laveen Elementary School District 2.
- Counselor of the Year – Tracey Pressley, Lake Havasu High School
- Superintendent Douglas also mentioned that ADE will be resubmitting the ESSA plan under the new template that includes the A-F accountability but stated that is the only portion of the plan that will be updated.
Board Member Reports
- Update on Speak Up, Be Safe and Childhelp
- Update regarding K-12 computer science education
- Unanimously approved the revised Structured English Immersion (SEI) curricular framework for SEI endorsements.
- Unanimously approved the capital transportation adjustments for the purchase of transportation vehicles pursuant to A.R.S. §15-963
- Unanimously approved the extension of the Arizona Carl D. Perkins State Plan and Funding for fiscal year 2018
- Unanimously approved the following special education educator preparation programs leading to Arizona educator certification:
- Pima Community College, Post Baccalaureate Teacher Certification Program, Mild to Moderate
- University of Phoenix, Alternative Pathway, Mild to Moderate
- Unanimously approved the following elementary education educator preparation programs leading to Arizona educator certification:
- University of Phoenix, Master of Arts in Education, Elementary Education
- Scottsdale Community College, Scottsdale Teacher Education Partnership (STEP), Elementary Education
- Unanimously approved the following secondary education educator preparation programs leading to Arizona educator certification:
- Prescott College, Bachelor’s Degree, Secondary Education
- Prescott College, Post-Baccalaureate Degree, Secondary Education
- Prescott College, Master’s Degree, Secondary Education
- University of Arizona South, Masters of Education (M.Ed.), Secondary Education
- Approved, with Member Carter and Member Baker abstaining, the additional monies for Teacher Compensation for the fiscal year 2017-2018
- Unanimously approved Arizona Department of Education (ADE) to enter into an agreement with the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) to receive and expend a National Farm to School Network grant from the TIDE Center.
- Unanimously approved the school district applications for the Arizona On-Line Instruction Program, pursuant to A.R.S. § 15-808:
- Amphitheater Unified School District – K-12
- Blue Ridge Unified School District – 9-12
- Unanimously accepted the resignation of M. Diane Bruening from the Special Education Advisory Panel.
Call to the Public
Over 18 individuals addressed the Board in connection to item 4b, the A-F ad hoc committee recommendations.
- SBE staff presented information on current legislation moving through the process that would impact the Board including SB 1042 and SB 1036 that would require additional rulemaking.
- Approved on a 7-2 vote, the new A-F School Accountability Plan K-8 and 9-12 for 2016-2017. Superintendent Douglas and Member Taylor voted no.
- ADE staff presented ESSA Long-Term Goals and Measures of Interim Progress for future discussions.
- ADE discussed the rulemaking procedures for Board rules R7-2-300 and R7-2-302 regarding the minimum course of study for common schools and high schools that will begin shortly.
- Unanimously approved the motion to begin rulemaking procedures for the proposed Board rule R7-2-318 regarding the K-3 Reading Program. In response to SB 1131.
The next regular board meeting will be May 22, 2017.