Registration is required, however, there is no charge to attend. Only those registered will receive the Zoom link to attend. Members may attend any county meeting but are encouraged to attend their own.
Meeting Dates and Registration Links
We’re please to provide the content that ASBA members have come to know and expect at our in-person events again this year, but through a virtual format! We will be using Zoom.
The topic of this year’s Power Town Hall will be The Top 3 Governance Challenges during COVID-19. Through facilitated discussion and interactive polling, attendees will share the toughest governance issues facing their boards as they navigate the uncharted waters presented by the spread of COVID-19, consider solutions to ease these difficulties now, and reflect on lessons learned to improve their board’s work in the future.
County Director elections will be held in eight counties. (More information below.)
Welcome and Meeting Overview
Presenter(s): Your ASBA County Director and Steven Chapman, President, ASBA BOD
ASBA Update: Working for You Including:
- Strategic Plan overview/update
- Member survey
- Upcoming events
Presenter(s): Dr. Sheila Harrison-Williams, ASBA executive director, and ASBA Staff
Celebration of Training Accomplishments
Presenter(s): Your ASBA County Director and ASBA Staff
All CEU-based award winners, including winners of the Total Board Award, will be recognized.
Association Governance: We’re Your Association
- Delegate Assembly (Oct. 17)
- Bylaws Proposal Review + Voting Process
- County Director Election – Speeches and Voting (if applicable)
- Officer Elections Process
- Alliances and Caucuses
- Opportunities for Involvement in 2021
Presenter(s): Members of the ASBA Board of Directors Officer Team
Interactive Power Town Hall
Presenter(s): ASBA Staff + Attendees
Local Program with Guest Presenter(s)
Presenter(s): Guest Presenter(s)
Legislative and Public Policy Update
Presenter(s): ASBA Staff
Meeting Wrap-Up, Evaluations, PRIZE DRAWING & Adjourn
Presenter(s): Your ASBA County Director
All awards will be mailed to announced winners at the conclusion of the County Meetings.
County Director Elections
Elections for ASBA County Directors will be held in eight counties this year via the ASBA Virtual County Meetings. County Directors serve two-year terms on the ASBA Board of Directors. (Learn more about who serves on the ASBA Board of Directors.)
In 2020, election of County Directors will take place for these counties:
- La Paz
- Santa Cruz
To Vote in the County Director Election:
Identify a member of your board to serve as your voting delegate in the County Director election and submit the name to ASBA in advance of the County Meeting.
- Voting will take place electronically during the meeting.
- Each member district board in the county is entitled to one vote.
- Each board must appoint in advance its delegate (and an alternate, if desired) who may cast the board’s vote for County Director. Click here for sample agenda language for selecting your County Director election delegate at an upcoming board meeting. For your convenience, you may select delegates for the ASBA Delegate Assembly (Oct. 17) and the official vote at the Annual Business Meeting (Dec. 3) at the same time you select your delegate for the County Director election.
- The name of the County Director election delegate (and alternate if desired) must be submitted to ASBA via the online delegate form at least one week prior to the meeting.
- Delegates (or alternates) must be at the meeting to vote.
To Run for Election for the County Director Position:
A candidate must be a seated board member at the time of election and, if elected, throughout their term. In addition, candidates must commit to fulfilling all County Director responsibilities.
Process for Running for County Director
- Anyone wishing to run for an open County Director seat must notify ASBA of their intent to run a minimum of one-week prior to the meeting by emailing email@example.com
- Running “from the floor” will not be allowed.
- Candidates will be provided time at the meeting to give a speech of up to three-minutes.
- If no candidates step forward to run, the ASBA Board of Directors will appoint per ASBA bylaws a County Director prior to the start of the term of office.
The Responsibilities/Duties of ASBA County Directors
- Attend orientation program for ASBA Board of Directors (January).
- Promote the vision, mission, and goals of ASBA to local county board members.
- Help initiate and set both policy and goals for ASBA.
- Serve as a communication link to ASBA while coordinating local county boards and advocating ASBA membership.
- Assist with coordination of and preside at the Annual County Meeting.
- Attend four regular ASBA board meetings per year.
- Attend any special board meetings called by the leadership.
- Attend and participate in as many ASBA sponsored activities annually, as is possible, e.g., ASBA BOLTS, Equity Event, Summer Leadership Institute, Delegate Assembly, Law Conference, Legislative Conference, Annual Conference. Board training is important, and we encourage their attendance at ASBA conferences. County directors receive complimentary registration to all ASBA events. (It is our hope that your district will support the work of the County Director by providing the travel and hotel costs.)
- Assist local board members upon request.
- Increase the awareness in your county of the roles of ASBA, the professional organization, and the benefits of ASBA membership.
Public Notice of Participation
If a quorum of your board participates in the Virtual County Meetings, individually online or together at the district office or another location, ASBA believes that it constitutes a public meeting. As such, it must be posted and public access to view the proceedings must be provided. All meetings will be live-streamed on ASBA’s YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AZSchoolBoardsAssoc. Providing a link to this page on your agenda will satisfy the public access requirement.
Getting the Most from Zoom Experience
Zoom will be the platform used for the County Meetings. Prior to the meetings, we’ll provide details on using Zoom and the interactive features that will enable you to truly be a part of the meeting.