School Board Service Webinar – Interested in Running for School Board?
February 13 @ 6:00 pm - November 10 @ 7:00 pm
To determine whether being a school board member is right for you, you’ll want to understand the duties and responsibilities of this nonpartisan position, the legal requirements for running for and holding office, and the process for running for election. You’ll also want to consider the personal attributes needed to be an effective board member, including understanding the code of ethics by which you must abide once elected.
|02/13/2020||School Board Service Webinar - General Overview||6:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m.||Listen here|
|03/25/2020||School Board Service Webinar - Getting on the Ballot, Fundraising, and Campaigning||6:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m.||Listen here|
|11/10/2020||School Board Service Webinar - I was Elected: What Now?||6:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m.||Register here|
Thursday, February 13, 6-7 pm
- General Overview
- Intro of ASBA and Thank you for considering service on a school board
- Legal Basis for School Boards
- What do School Boards Do?
- Qualifications for board service
- The Basics of Board Service
- Team Member Roles in School districts
- Rewards of Board Service
Wednesday, March 25, 6-7 pm
- Getting on the Ballot, Fundraising, and Campaigning
- Running for School Board: Legal Requirements for getting on the ballot
- What happens once I am on the ballot?
- Campaigning 101
- Getting your name out
- Campaign Materials (website, social media sites, signs, direct mail, phone calls and walks, automated calls or robo calls
Tuesday, November 9, 6-7 pm
- I was Elected: What Now?
- What Can I Do Now? (participating in meetings, executive sessions, board updates, etc.)
- ASBA’s New Board Member Orientation Program
- District Onboarding (see onboarding tool)
- Organizational Meeting