ASBA offers a wide range of search services, from comprehensive searches to fill a current or future superintendent position, to assisting governing boards seek an interim superintendent when necessary.
To meet the needs of each school district engaged in the search process ASBA believes that:
- Each school district is unique;
- Boards know their communities better than the ASBA consultant;
- Finding the right leadership match is critical to the success of the district;
- The superintendent selection process should provide opportunities to strengthen the relationship between the school district and the community; and
- Support should be offered before, during and after the search to support the success of the executive search process.
History of ASBA Searches
Take a look at the retained searches ASBA has facilitated.
|Concho ESD||Amphitheater USD||Buckeye UHSD||Altar Valley ESD||Alhambra ESD||Bisbee USD||Amphitheater USD||Casa Grande UHSD|
|Educare Arizona||Antelope UHSD||Coolidge USD||Bowie USD||Camp Verde USD||Cedar USD||Apache Junction USD||Flagstaff Arts & Leadership Academy|
|Gila Bend USD||Casa Grande UHSD||Fort Thomas USD||Palominas ESD||Concho ESD||Ganado USD||Casa Grande ESD||Ganado USD|
|Queen Creek USD||Chino Valley USD||Ganado USD||Payson USD||Continental ESD||Littlefied USD||Crane ESD||Gilbert Public Schools|
|Seligman USD||Crane ESD||Nadaburg USD||Santa Cruz Valley USD||Creighton ESD||Peoria USD||Patagonia UHSD & ESD||Littlefield USD|
|Tonto Basin ESD||Fountain Hills USD||Pine-Strawberry ESD||Sierra Vista USD||Douglas USD||Red Mesa USD||Sacaton ESD||Maricopa USD|
|Ganado USD||Pomerene ESD||Somerton ESD||Gila Bend USD||Saddle Mountain USD||Tanque Verde USD||Mesa Public Schools|
|Globe USD||Sanders USD||Sonoita ESD||Kayenta USD||Scottsdale USD, Interim||Winslow USD||Northland Preparatory Academy|
|Morenci USD||Superior USD||St. Johns USD||Peach Springs USD||Show Low USD||Peoria USD|
|Payson USD||Vernon ESD||Queen Creek USD||Tolleson UHSD||Sanders USD|
|Peach Springs USD||STEDY JTED||Yuma ESD||Sedona-Oak Creek USD|
|Sonoita ESD||Superior USD||Sierra Vista USD|
|Stanfield ESD||Valley Unon HSD||Sonoita ESD|
|Washington ESD||Yuma UHSD|
|Window Rock USD|
Executive Search Process
ASBA’s primary goal is to develop a search process that will produce the best match for your organization’s needs. ASBA works for the district, not the candidate. The ASBA comprehensive search includes coordinating the entire search process, collecting information on the candidates, maintaining contact with educational agencies and placing advertisements/postings to attract quality candidates. Arizona attracts candidates from all parts of the country, and ASBA has a nationwide network to ensure that candidates fit your organization’s profile and expectations. The search service is constantly monitored, evaluated and revised to provide the best service to members.
The ASBA application process is ONLINE and easily accessible. Applicants find the process easy to navigate and search consultants are able to provide accurate and timely updates.
- Establish a search timeline to meet the specific needs of the district.
- Assist to determine the qualifications and criteria required for the position.
- Solicit staff and community input as determined by the board.
- Develop selection criteria for the position.
- Develop interview questions.
- Prepare an online search brochure.
- Prepare the online application.
- Announce the search process to community, staff and advertise the position nationally.
- Accept applications and answer all inquiries from candidates and media.
- Assist with board screening of applications.
- Schedule and arrange interviews, tours and community/staff forums.
- Ensure that all candidates meet the district profile and thoroughly complete the application.
- Facilitate a meeting with the board and new executive to set goals, review roles and responsibilities, review evaluation process and create communication expectations.
- Provide legal guidelines to the board for interviewing and running meetings.
- Assist the board to plan for site visits.
- Provide salary and benefit comparisons.
Pre and Post Search Services
- ASBA’s executive search service doesn’t begin with a posting and end with a board’s hiring of a new superintendent. ASBA offers support to assist the governing board prepare for a search by offering services that help boards become “search ready”. Once the new executive is selected, ASBA can work with your team during the transition to develop positive working relationships including assisting with goal development, establishing effective communications, and reviewing policies involving roles and responsibilities.
- Click here to find out about more about becoming search ready.
ASBA assists the board to determine the nature and extent of the search, thus determining the time required. Successful searches have taken as little as a few weeks to as long as six months. ASBA works with boards to determine effective timelines that reflect their needs, providing ample time for each stage of the process. Timelines may include finding an interim if necessary, and providing and proceeding with a full search at a later date. Here are some examples of different criteria that might alter your timeline:
- Your board may need time to get “search ready” by ensuring there is agreement around the needs and goals of the district or by addressing conflicts that may negatively impact the search process.
- Your search may include conducting an internal search first before considering an external search, if credible candidates exist within the organization.
- Your search may also include an external search that welcomes internal candidates to apply on equal footing with others.
- Or, your search may include a comprehensive, national search. Particularly in external searches, it is essential that the search timeline takes into consideration, the time for transition, thus enabling candidates to provide adequate notice to their current organization before leaving.
Reasons to Choose ASBA
ASBA delivers value. When you choose ASBA, you put the entire strength of your dues dollars to work.
- We provide you a proven service with costs below market rates.
- We provide responses to questions and concerns during the search.
- We become the point of contact for all aspects of the search.
- We have a national network to help screen candidates from out of state.
- We utilize an online application system that provides immediate review throughout the search process.
- We offer pre and post search services to help build teamwork, improve communication and plan for success
- We will continue to serve you and the students of Arizona in all areas of governance.
- We assist the district to adhere faithfully to the Open Meeting Law of Arizona.
For information, contact:
ARIZONA SCHOOL BOARDS ASSOCIATION
Steve Highlen, Executive Search Manager
2100 N. Central Avenue, Ste. 200
Phoenix, AZ 85004
Office: 602.254.1100 | Toll Free: 1.800.238.4701 | Fax: 602.254.1177
Executive Search Successes 2017-18
|Superintendent||Casa Grande UHSD|
|Executive Director||Flagstaff Arts & Leadership Academy|
|Superintendent||Gilbert Public Schools|
|Superintendent||Mesa Public Schools|
|Superintendent||Northland Preparatory Academy|
|Interim Superintendent||Peoria USD|
|Superintendent||Sedona-Oak Creek USD|
|Interim Superintendent||Sierra Vista USD|