The Jack Peterson Scholarship is awarded annually to exceptional high school seniors who plan to pursue college degrees in teaching. Recipients shall have maintained a high school record that reflects high academic achievement and regular attendance, respectable leadership and citizenship among peers, and sustained participation in school and community activities.
Amounts of the awards vary from year to year and are based on annual earnings from the scholarship endowment. Last year’s scholarships were $1,300 each. The scholarships are presented at the opening session of the ASBA-ASA Annual Conference.
The scholarship was established in honor of ASBA Executive Director Jack Peterson, who served the association from 1991 to 1998.
The worthy student:
- Shall be a senior currently attending an accredited public high school in an Arizona school district which is also an active member of ASBA.
- Shall enroll in an accredited Arizona college or university designating education as a major course of study.
- Shall have maintained a high school record that reflects high academic achievement and regular attendance; respectable leadership and citizenship among peers; and sustained participation in school/community activities.
Selection of the Recipient
- Only students who have submitted complete entry materials will be considered.
- The Jack Peterson Scholarship Committee will select the most qualified student in accordance with the award criteria and guidelines.
- The committee shall designate an alternative recipient to receive the scholarship award if for any reason the initial selection is unable to fulfill the award requirements in a timely manner.
- Completed entry form.
- Narrative statement presenting student’s resumé, education career interests, family background information, school/community activities, leadership roles, academic status/ attendance and an explanation of student’s desire to receive this scholarship.
Submission Deadline: 5:00 pm on Friday, October 26. 2018