The Panfilo H. Contreras Honorary Scholarship was awarded for the first time in 2013 by ASBA’s Hispanic-Native American Indian Caucus. Hispanic and Native American Indian students who are juniors or seniors in high school are eligible to apply for this scholarship to support their attendance at an accredited post-secondary institution. Last year’s scholarships were $1,000 each. The scholarships will be presented at the opening session of the ASBA-ASA Annual Conference.
Only students who have submitted complete entry materials will be considered. The committee will designate an alternative recipient to receive the scholarship award if for any reason the initial named recipient is unable to fulfill the award requirements in a timely manner.
Deadline is 5 p.m. on Friday, October 26, 2018
The worthy student:
- Shall be a Hispanic or Native American Indian junior or senior of an accredited public high school in Arizona in a district whose governing board is an active member of the Arizona School Boards Association.
- Shall enroll in an accredited institution in Arizona.
- Shall have maintained a high school record that reflects high academic achievement and regular attendance; respectable leadership and citizenship among peers; and sustained participation in school/community activities.
SELECTION OF THE RECIPIENT
- Only students who have submitted complete entry materials will be considered.
- The Scholarship Committee will select the most qualified student in accordance with the award criteria and guidelines.
- The Scholarship Committee shall designate an alternative recipient to receive the scholarship award if for any reason the initially-named recipient is unable to fulfill the award requirements in a timely manner.
- Completed entry form.
- Narrative statement presenting student’s resume, education and career interests, family background information, school/community activities, leadership roles, academic status/attendance and an explanation of student’s desire and need to receive this scholarship.